Secret

Epilogue

Zander and Lucky were a very happy couple. Jason remained a part of their lives in all ways, and it made things that much better. Zander continued running the company, and Jason convinced AJ to sell his shares to Zander. Lucky continued being the good cop that he was, and then the unthinkable happened. Lucky got shot in the line of duty.

He vaguely remembered the ambulance coming and him telling everyone he was fine. It was just a flesh wound. And it was only in his left arm, so he figured, no big deal. But then he must have blacked out because the next thing he knew, he woke up in a treatment room in the ER and someone was bandaging his shoulder. What woke Lucky wasn't the pain though, but the commotion he could hear going on outside his door. A familiar voice was shouting.

"You can't stop me from seeing Lucky!" Zander shouted.

"In a few minutes," said a softer voice.

"NOW! He could be dying in there! I have to see him!"

"Soon…okay, Zander. Just relax."

Lucky recognized the softer voice as Bobbie Spencer's. He almost smiled as he continued to listen.

"I'm going in there and you can't stop me!" Zander stated. "And if you think Bubba the orderly is going to be able to keep me out, you've been messing in the drug cabinet!"

"You can't go in there, Zander. Don't make me have to call security and escort you out!"

Ric Lansing's voice suddenly interjected. "Don't worry, Bobbie. I'll handle Zander for you."

Zander snorted. "In your dreams. And why aren't you out there looking for the bastard who shot Lucky? What the hell is wrong with you people? You're worthless. You know what? Never mind. I'll find the guy myself! And you won't need to waste a jail cell when I'm through with him. Just have a body bag handy."

"Oh boy," Lucky whispered to himself. Zander was on a roll. It was kind of nice to hear Zander making such a ruckus over him. But Lucky knew that Zander would go off and do something stupid, all in the name of love of course, but still…if he wasn't reined in. "I need to see Zander," Lucky said to Monica, who was stitching him up.

"In a few minutes," she replied, a smile on her face as she, too, listened to the commotion.

Lucky shook his head. "Now. You know Zander. If I don't calm him down he's gonna end up in a straight jacket and sedated."

Monica sighed. "You're right. Okay…hold on." She went to the door and called out, "Zander...you can come in now."

"Thank you." Zander pushed past Lansing and almost ran into the room. He skidded to a halt when he saw Lucky. "Hey...you okay?"

"I'm okay." Lucky smiled and held out his good hand. He could see tears glistening in Zander's eyes as he reached him. "You're very loud."

Zander shrugged. "I had to see you. I had to make sure you're okay. When they told me you got shot...my heart about stopped..." Zander choked up and fell silent.

Lucky squeezed his hand. "I'm okay…really. It's just a flesh wound, right Dr. Quartermaine?" Lucky knew that Zander needed reassurance.

"That's right." Monica looked at Zander. "Lucky just needed a few stitches. You know from experience that stitches are no big deal. In fact, he's free to go. You can take him home." Monica shook a finger at Lucky. "But take it easy for a day or two and take the antibiotic I gave you and the pain pills as needed. Got it?"

"I got it," Lucky replied. He would do as he was told. He thanked her then smiled at Zander. "Ready to go home?"

Zander nodded, but first he leaned in to kiss Lucky. "I'm glad you're okay."

Lucky kissed Zander back and whispered, "Me too." Then he eased off the table and he felt pretty good, all things considered. "Come on…take me home." He held out his hand and when Zander took it, they left the hospital, too wrapped up in each other to notice the smiles on the faces of those who watched them go.

* * * * *

Jason was at the loft. He greeted them at the door. He said nothing, simply watching, as Zander got Lucky settled on the couch. Then he went to them both and said, "I'll take care of the shooter."

Lucky sighed. "Jason…why not let the cops take care of him?"

Zander snorted, then apologized when Lucky glared at him. "Sorry. But please let Jason do this. Okay? He won't kill the bastard, just catch him. Right?"

"Right," Jason replied, but he didn't blink.

"Yeah…right." Lucky realized he was better off not thinking about this. "Go ahead," he said. "It's not like I can stop you from doing what you want to do."

Jason almost smiled. "No…you can't," he agreed. Then he leaned in to kiss Lucky.

Zander walked Jason to the door. They whispered for a moment then Zander kissed Jason before ushering him out. The moment Jason was gone, Zander was back at Lucky's side. "Can I get you anything? Are you hungry? Do you need another pillow?" Zander fluffed the pillow behind Lucky's back as he spoke. "How about a blanket? Or...I could turn up the heat. Oh...wait...I'll get you some water for your pills. Or would you prefer juice?" Zander grabbed the bag. "I hope Monica gave you some good pain pills. If not…I've got some good ones in the medicine cabinet…Oh!" Zander broke off as he found himself, unceremoniously, hauled down into Lucky's lap. He made to protest but was silenced by a kiss. Zander let his fingers slide into Lucky's hair and kissed him back eagerly.

"Don't fuss over me," Lucky said, when they broke apart for air. "I'm fine, Zander. Okay? I'm perfect."

"Yeah...you are." A watery smile curved Zander's lips. He let his fingers trail over Lucky's chest, as if to assure himself he was still in one piece. "But I could have lost you. I was so scared. I felt like I couldn't breathe."

Lucky pressed a fingertip to Zander's lips. "You can't think that way, Zander. You didn't lose me and that's all that matters."

Zander nodded. "Yeah…I know." He made to get up but Lucky held him still with one arm wrapped about his waist. "I don't want to hurt you," Zander protested.

"I'm not feeling any pain," Lucky replied. "I just want to hold you."

"Okay." Zander snuggled into Lucky.

Lucky smiled, feeling content, until he realized Zander was shaking. He lifted his head and saw tears sliding down Zander's face. "Hey...hey…what's wrong?"

Zander tried to wipe away his tears, but the kept on coming. "I thought...I thought I'd lost you. I can't lose you, Lucky. I couldn't bear it...I couldn't.." Zander's voice choked on a sob and he clung to Lucky as if he would never let go.

"Shhh..." Lucky whispered, gently kissing away Zander's hair. "You'll never lose me, baby," he said softly. "Never." Then he held Zander close, letting him cry, until they both drifted off to sleep.

 

THE END

 

HOME