On Common Ground

Chapter 15

 

It was barely dawn but Alexis couldn't sleep. She found Nikolas in the dining room, drinking coffee. "Guess you couldn't sleep either," she commented, as she joined him.

"Not a chance," Nikolas replied. "I can't get the image of my Uncle kissing Zander out of my head."

"Yeah...that's a shocker."

Nikolas ran a hand over his face and sighed. "I thought...no, I know...my Uncle loved my mother. He loves women. And as much as I'm not a fan of Zander's, I know he loved Emily. So...what the hell is going on?"

Alexis heaved a sigh of her own. "I'm not sure. But...in a way I'm not really surprised."

"You're not?"

"Not completely." Alexis got up to pour herself a cup of coffee. "I've known that Stefan was Bi for quite some time. We talked about it years ago."

Nikolas was stunned. "Okay...so Zander isn't the first guy my Uncle has been with."

Alexis smiled as an answer. She didn't know what else to say. "If makes you feel any better...I think they're good for each other. They have a lot in common."

"Such as?"

"Such as being second sons and unloved by a beloved parent." Alexis sipped at her coffee. "I think that Stefan and Zander can understand each other's pain in a way that no one else would, or could."

Nikolas stood up and began to pace. "Great. I'm happy for them. I just don't get it…I don't. I just...I can't believe it." He paced around the table a few times then sat back down again. "Gay love isn't really a shocker to me. I've traveled through Europe, I've seen the lifestyle, I even know some people who are gay. I can even deal with my Uncle being gay."

Alexis raised a hand. "Bi."

"Whatever." Nikolas fiddled with his coffee cup. "I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that Zander is my Uncle's lover. Zander. It's freaking me out. Because for the few minutes that I did fall asleep last night...I kept seeing them together. You know? Like…together."

"Making love?" Alexis couldn't keep a smirk off her face.

Nikolas nodded. "Yes. And it got me to thinking about things I don't want to think about."

Alexis finished her coffee and got up for a refill. "I think that's natural given the…situation."

"Do you think it's real? This…thing…between them."

"I don't know. I think it is on Stefan's part for sure. He was a wreck on the way here. I think he loves Zander."

Nikolas nodded. "Okay. What about Zander? Does he love my Uncle?"

Alexis shrugged. "I don't know. I'm guessing that this is brand new for Zander. He's still hurting over losing Emily. And things with his father are rough. I think he needs to be loved by someone right now."


"So he's using my Uncle." Nikolas' tone was sharp.

"I didn't say that." Alexis moved to Nikolas and patted his shoulder. "Zander wouldn't do that, okay? Not knowingly or willingly. For all we know they're both in love. But whatever it is or isn't, we need to support them both. If this is what Stefan and Zander want, then I'm happy for them, and you should be too."

Nikolas rubbed a hand over his face and sighed. "I guess I should welcome Zander to the family."

Alexis winced. "I think he's already been welcomed into the fold. Thanks to Helena."

"Why do you think she grabbed Zander?"

"I don't have a clue," Alexis responded. "But I do know something bad is going to happen." It always did when Helena was involved. And that worried Alexis. For everyone's sake.

* * * * *

Stefan was happy. Or as happy as he could be, given the circumstances. He was lying in bed with Zander in his arms, watching him sleep. It didn't get any better than this. At least not for him.

"Morning."

"You're awake." Stefan had been just lost in thought enough not to realize that Zander was smiling at him.

Zander pressed a hand to Stefan's face then drew him down for a kiss. "I've been awake for a bit. I didn't want to spoil the moment."

Stefan smiled, knowing exactly what Zander meant. "Last night was beautiful. You're beautiful." He combed his fingers through Zander's hair, contentedly.

"You keep saying that," Zander laughed.

"Because it's true."

Zander shook his head. "It's not. But thanks for saying it. Emily used to..." He broke off. "Um...I think you are beautiful, though. All elegant and kinda regal. And stubbly." Zander laughed. "Never in a million years did I ever imagine waking up in bed next to my lover and caressing *his* stubble."

Stefan chuckled and it felt so good to laugh. "Well...You corner the market when it comes to stubble. No one I know makes it sexier." To prove his point, Stefan rolled Zander beneath him, pinning him with his body, then he kissed him. A slow, deep, wet, lingering kiss. They were both panting by the time he pulled back.

"Wow.." Zander whispered, his eyes wide and glowing with passion.

"Yeah....wow." Stefan could feel how hard they both were and he slid down Zander's body to take his throbbing cock into his mouth. It didn't take long for Zander to come and Stefan didn't release him until he was soft and sated. He moved back up the limp body and kissed Zander.


Zander kissed him back then said," Your turn," with a wicked glint in his eyes.

Stefan let himself be rolled over onto his back. He watched through half lidded eyes as Zander moved down between his legs and took him into his mouth. He moaned as Zander licked at his slit before sucking the tip of his cock into his warm mouth. The boy was a fast learner. And just when Stefan was sure he would explode, Zander pulled off and Stefan whimpered. But his attention was caught when Zander leaned over him to grab the tube of lubricant on the bed table. He watched strong hands slick his cock then he watched, amazed, as Zander moved over him. Stefan wanted to protest what his lover was about to do. He knew that Zander wasn't stretched or ready for this, but it was too late. Zander was pressing down and Stefan felt his cock push into him. Inch by torturous inch. He felt the clench around him, so tight as to almost hurt and he knew that Zander had to feel the pain. But when he looked into the hazel eyes he saw them shining with trust. In him. And that made Stefan's heart ache. He knew that this moment was symbolic for them both. That for Zander he would accept any pain to find pleasure with Stefan. He would endure anything to give it to him. Tears burned in Stefan's eyes as he felt himself fully sheathed inside of Zander.

"I love you, Stefan," Zander whispered, then he began to move.

"I love you too. I love you, Zander...more than you will ever know." A tear slid down Stefan's cheek as he spoke. He felt his body move to the rhythm that Zander set. He felt pleasure swirl inside him then explode into an ecstasy that made his body tingle even in the after math. And then he felt Zander melting into his arms and Stefan held onto him tight. He would never, never, let him go.

* * * * *

Luke was pouring whiskey into his coffee, fully aware of his son's eyes upon him. "Take a picture, it will last longer," he drawled.

Lucky sighed. "You knew Robert Scorpio was alive." It was an accusation.

"I know alot of things."

"Did you know about Stefan and Zander?"

Luke choked on a swallow of coffee. He drew his arm over his mouth before replying. "Got to admit, that one threw me. Didn't know Stefan was a switch hitter."

Lucky nodded. "Yeah...or Zander. He loved Emily with everything he is. When she died, he about died with her."

"What's your point?"

"So now Zander sleeps with men?"

Luke chuckled. "Cowboy...your life education is sorely lacking in areas. For the record, I think that as far as being with a man goes...I think this is a one time deal. If things don't work out with Stefan, I think Zander will go back to being with women."

Lucky's eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Do you think Stefan is doing something to him to make him be with him?"

"Not that I wouldn't put it past a Cassadine, but nah. I saw the way Stefan was with Zander. For him it's the real deal."

"This is too weird."

Luke snorted. "Life is weird, cowboy. Get used to it."

* * * * * 

Zander and Stefan came down from the room at separate times. Zander wasn't hungry but Stefan told him to go eat and that he would join him soon. He needed to talk to Alexis first. So Zander wandered into the dining room and found it empty, save for Robert Scorpio. His father. Zander wasn't ready for this confrontation. He turned to leave.

"Zander!" Robert Scorpio was on his feet and at the door to stop him. "We need to talk."

"I don't have anything to say to you."

Robert smiled. "We both know that's a lie. I'm just as shocked by this as you are, Zander."

Zander studied the other man then shook his head. "Somehow...I don't think you are."

"You're very astute." Robert nodded approval. "Let me explain."

"Go for it."

Robert gestured to the table. "Let's sit."

Zander brushed past him and plopped down into the nearest chair. Then he realized he needed some coffee but Robert Scorpio seemed to read his mind. A mug of steaming java appeared before Zander. "Thanks," he grumbled.

"You're welcome." Robert sat in the chair beside him. "I know this is confusing and overwhelming, Zander. Let me first say that I did know about having a son with Laura. But I didn't who my son was until recently."


"How recently?" Zander locked eyes with Robert, waiting to catch him in a lie.

Robert held his son's gaze. "I've known for about a year."

Zander shook his head. "That's not my definition of recent."

"I didn't have proof. Helena had been playing games with me all along. She knew I was alive but she didn't know where. So we played games and I know she's thrilled at having finally drawn me out into the open."

"Do you know why she did this?"

Robert shrugged. "I can't even begin to imagine what she wants. But I know what I want."

Zander was suspicious. "What's that?"

"To get to know my son."

"Trust me…you don't want to know me."

Robert smiled and dared to reach out to touch Zander on the arm. "I know about your past. I did my research. Even though I wasn't sure at the time if you really were my son. Like I said, I didn't have proof, only suspicions...I still checked into your background. I know about your relationship with your father. I know that you dealt for Sorel, about the stuff you did for Sonny Corinthos. Who you had relationships with. Emily."

Zander shot out of his chair. "Shut up!"

"Zander…I know what you've done. I've studied your police record and your hospital records. You've had a rough life."

"I made it that way. I'm a perpetual screw up!" Zander stalked over to the side table and poured his own cup of coffee. He felt trapped and he didn't want to deal with this right now. Pain throbbed in his temples and he rubbed at it with his fingertips.

Robert joined him at the side table. "Do you love Stefan Cassadine?"

Zander was stunned. "What's it to you?"

"I need to know. He's a Cassadine, Zander."

"He's a good man."

Robert paused then said, "I want to take you with me."

Zander's eyes went wide. "What are you talking about?"

"When I leave here, I want you to go with me. I can keep you safe, Zander. I can offer you a new life. And we can get to know one another. Make up for lost time." Robert's tone was soft but laced with steel.

"You're joking!" Zander couldn't believe what he was hearing. A complete stranger wanted to take him away from everything and everyone he knew. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

Robert backed off. "Okay…look. I shouldn't have sprung this on you so soon. But we don't have alot of time. Think about it, Zander. We'll talk again." Robert turned on his heel and walked out.

Zander watched him go then he hurled his coffee cup across the room. He felt like he was in his own little corner of hell and he was about to be burned alive.

* * * * *

"What are you doing, Stefan?"

He turned to find Alexis in the doorway, glaring at him. "Come in, close the door," Stefan invited.

Alexis did so then faced him with her arms crossed over her chest. "I'm waiting?"

"I guessing that you're asking me about Zander?"

"Do you love him?"

Stefan locked eyes with his sister. "What do you think?"

Alexis held his gaze then smiled. "I think you do. I think you love him very much. But it scares me, Stefan. Look what's already happened because of it."

"Don't you think I know?" Stefan turned away and sighed. "I never meant for any of this to happen, Alexis. I didn't expect to fall in love with Zander or for him to fall in love with me. It just happened."

"No regrets?"

Stefan turned back to her and shook his head. "None. Not about Zander anyway. But I regret that my being a Cassadine has brought him to this place."

Alexis nodded. "What does Helena have planned?"

"I wish I knew."

"Don't hurt him, Stefan. Zander is just about broken as it is."

Stefan smiled sadly. "I know. I won't hurt him. I want to help him heal."

Alexis hugged her brother. "Maybe he can help you heal as well."

"He already has," Stefan whispered. "He already has."

* * * * *

Helena sat in a small room, watching the exchange between her son and Alexis. Earlier she had watched Stefan and Zander making love. "Oh so perfect," She drawled, clapping her hands together excitedly. "Soon, Stefan...you will know what it truly means to be broken."

 

previous chapter

 Chapter Index

next chapter

© Shelly 2004